The bloody details of a horror writer, director & actor.

February 13, 2012

One Step Closer


It's been a hell of a weekend! Twenty intensive hours with a fabulous story editor from Toronto, Claire Ross Dunn, and the creative team from Mosaic Entertainment all together to hammer out the next (hopefully final) draft of Truckstop Bloodsuckers.
Things are changing. Characters have been killed off before we have the pleasure of watching them die on screen and we have some challenging restrictions: less gore, less violence, less profanity, but don't alienate the male demographic. Well... that's kind of like saying take the meat out of the sandwich, but keep a man fed. Hmmm... time to really get creative! 

It's pretty much established that if it were up to me, we would have a wonderful bloody mess on our hands. On the comedy-horror spectrum, I stand more on the Battle Royal side than Army of Darkness. However, restrictions, boundaries, and limitations often produce a higher quality of story and to me, that's the most important thing. I like a good skull crush as much as any of you, but my aim is to be the Horror with a Heart of Gold, and so to pull away from my initial instincts could be a good learning lesson. 

Thankfully, I have an excellent team to work with and we really slugged through the fog of ideas and various possibilities to get to the best possible story within this world. I think we found it.

And though I don't know if I've ever felt more tired in my whole life, I also feel so incredibly grateful for the creative geniuses I'm working with, the muse, and my beloved family and very patient friends. Your encouraging whispers never leave my mind. Thank you. And I promise, there will be a glamorous playoff from all of this. Someday.



SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Awww, such a nice post from the Queen Bee of Horror :) (or soon to be Queen Bee)

    ReplyDelete

© Scream Queen B . All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig