May 14, 2013

The Break-Up: Wisdom from the Indie Mom

Hey Folks, I was going to blog about the CineCoup Top 10 Results, but the mother of all indie beat me to it. I don't think any of us could say it better. So here she is, in her own words, Momma Jane...

So the news last night that GJR didn’t make the CineCoup Top 10 was a buzz kill. I’m still a gal that loves an adrenalin rush so it really sucked. I found myself employing my 90’s style break up strategies to get through the night – here they are for your future reference:


Break Up Strategies

  1. Swear, feel gutted and say bad words while pacing throughout the house.
  2. Take breaks to be falsely cheerful and optimistic. It all sounds hollow and just feels like loser talk.
  3. Catch a glimpse of what I look like doing this in plaid flannel pajamas and decide to at least put some lip stick on and brush my hair.
  4. Graze on cold pizza Glenn (McNeill's Step Dad) was going to take for his lunch today and turn to Jon Stewart for late night solace.
  5. I can’t concentrate on the Daily show – he’s too smart for me right now.
  6. I turn to my PVR’ed Real House Wives of no name cities and watch rich, thin, plastic women behave badly. This is more like it.
  7. It’s after 1:00 AM and I’m sick of TV – where is that god dammed old Bonnie Rait CD? What do the kids listen to now to get through nights like this? Adele? I only know one song and I don’t know how to work the DVD player anyway. (It's called a CD player...)
  8. Got tired of looking on the bright side and crawled into bed.
  9. Ok – let’s get real. It was not a straight trip upstairs. I stopped at the fridge again, but tragically no gluten filled sugary treats to be found. Damn. I really have lost my edge.
  10. I do fall asleep knowing this disappointment will pass and not caring that I don’t believe it – I’m exhausted.
Now - guess what? I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and strangely inspired. I got my 50 something ass out of bed and worked out even though I had a good excuse to skip it. I really do know this isn’t the end for these young talents – or for me - or for any one that has the guts to show up and to chase a dream. So here’s another Top 10 of what I’m taking away now:

Wisdom From the Indie Mom

  1. I’m inspired to do something that scares me today.
  2. To take more risks and dare to dream bigger.
  3. Have the balls to want something I may not get easily – or at all.
  4. Not to give up at the first turn in the road or the first road block or because someone else doesn’t see what I see.
  5. Don't be afraid to be everything I can be – embrace my gifts –don’t be lazy.
  6. Have the courage to take a stand – have a voice –take responsibility for what I know to be true.
  7. Say thank you for the ability to do anything at all and to care enough to feel disappointment.
  8. To be grateful for the tribe - nobody gets far without a community – I have an amazing one.
  9. Know that in life – I don’t always know what good news is for me – or anyone else.
  10. Celebrate the success of the top 10 and all 96 filmmakers – you’re all brave to do what you do and I admire all of you.
So that’s all from Momma Jane for a while. A special shout out to super fans Donal O’Beirne and Wendy Grahl – where would anyone be without supporters like you people? You both give hard core and unwavering support to everyone you get behind – and you make it so much more fun. And to the team from Rosalind’s Revenge – I loved your work and I expect to see more wonderful things from you – I can’t wait to see your film.

Now, on to practical matters - what will I do with my 50 some votes? I’m giving half to our hometown heroes the Uprising team and my other half to my home province and Regina’s own Wolf Cop. I’d encourage all of you to do the same. I’m a sucker for an underdog and both these films shocked and awed me with their local talent and heart – well done!

So stay tuned for what happens next. I feel it to my bones that there is nothing but good in store for our girl Lindsey D. McNeill and the rest of the crew –and me. I will remain a proud, over involved border line obnoxious Indie Momma. Oh - and watch out Cinecoup – Momma Jane just may have her own movie to do.

BIG HUGS

Oh and to J Joly – I appreciate you had tough choices to make and don’t worry I won’t hold a grudge. Let’s be honest though – I think we both know you were trying to steal my purse. I’m just saying…

Momma Jane
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Scream Queen B . All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig