The blood, guts and glory of creativity.

March 3, 2015

Jump in the Pool



And we're falling beyond the horizon,
And only the water remains
The fear is falling away. 

So let me tell you more about how the Cannes Film Festival became a possibility for me. I had just been rejected for another grant to fund my feature film after a year of struggling with the script and getting to the core of the story. I applied to the Creative Mind Group, not thinking that I would be accepted because at this time "no thanks" was becoming pretty familiar. 


On my last day in Hawaii with friends, with this as my backdrop, I received an email saying that I had been accepted to attend the Sundance Film Festival. Finally, a YES!


And within days of returning home, I realized I would have to leave again in a few weeks and I couldn't afford it. My heart sank. So I called the company to decline the invitation and ended up talking with a staff member of Creative Minds who questioned why Sundance was on my radar when I had a script in development. "You should be at the market for financing and distribution. I want to transfer your application to Cannes."

Woah woah woah. Nope. Wasn't interested. I mean, you don't go from being a struggling screenwriter/bartender to the biggest, most prestigious film festival in the world. It just did not compute with this robot. Besides, if I can't afford to go to Utah, sure as hell can't afford France. It seemed that wasn't the core issue though.

"Sundance feels more... achievable. Cannes is just too big, too scary."

"Well, you can splash around where you're comfortable... or you can take more time, gather your resources and get into the deep waters. See how far you can go."


It was a pivotal moment for me. Though I was absolutely terrified - shaking actually, while my inner dialogue was whispering how? Why? HOW? - I accepted. It still sounds ridiculous to me, being invited to attend Cannes for a mentorship, networking and advocacy. Yet it is an experience that will absolutely change my life and will guarantee that my film will be made. Thank you Travis Duncan for encouraging me to jump in.

I need your help!


As I write this, I am $325 away from the halfway point at the beginning of Day 3 of my #YesWeCannes Campaign. The outpouring of support and encouragement has been overwhelming and my heart is bursting! BUT, there is still a long way to go and every share, every post, every donation makes an enormous impact on my life.


Thank you to everyone who has already donated and spread the word on Facebook & Twitter. It's an amazing thing to support someone's dream. Thank you for all your positivity and love. xo




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Scream Queen B . All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig